BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Gasparilla 2010

0:25:53 was my official chip time. 22 out of 642 in my age group and 986 out of 9647 people. 47 degrees
Chelsea got 0:24:06, 32nd in her age group and 579 out of 9647 people. She also won a Gasparilla mug with top 10% on it, but we didn't know she won anything and left, so one of her track team members picked it up and brought it home for her.

I haven't written in a while, but wanted to go back and mention the Gasparilla 5K that I ran with Chelsea. Her track team was there also.
It was freezing cold and drizzling when we got up there. I had my shorts on with pants that were two sizes to big over them and then just a tank top and my jacket. I didn't know what I was going to do once the race started, but Chelsea just stood out there with a pair of shorts on, tank top and a sweat jacket. We went to the starting line 45 minutes early and probably a good thing because it was packed. This was the highest registration they have had for the 5K yet, 9647 people for a 5K! There was a special section in the front for the elite runners and once they were in, the man called for people with yellow bibs. Chelsea told me we had yellow bibs and she was right!! I don't know how that happened and why we had them, but we went up with the elites. =) The National Anthem started and so did the RAIN! It had been just a drizzle, but when she started singing, it started pouring!
Gun sounded and off we went. Chelsea took off immediately which I was really happy about and me with my huge pants and shorts still on. I was dying of heat within the first t minutes, but left them on. The course was alright except those damn brick roads I keep having to run across in these 5K's lately and this time it was wet and slippery so I slowed way down. I'm so afraid of tweaking my ankles just right and not being able to run at all for weeks. Been there and it drives me crazy!
All in all, the race was good. I've decided that, as I have been my whole life, I'm a longer distance runner. The 5k's make me feel like I have to sprint the whole way and I can't sprint for nothing. The 5k's are over just when my muscles are getting warmed up and I get comfortable. They are probably good for me though so I'll keep doing them.

0 comments: