Sunday, March 7, 2010

Hooters to Hooters Half Marathon 2010

March 7, 2010

8:30 pace
8th out of 35 Age Group
186th overall

9:01 PACE
2nd out of 15 Age Group
269 overall

I was a little nervous about Chelsea doing this one with me. She has never run over 5 miles at one time but wanted to try it anyway. Not feeling to smart letting her do it either.
It was in the mid-30's when we got down there, but warmed up to the mid-40's by the time the race started. This was a much smaller race which I was looking forward to.
I broke a cardinal rule in running and that is to never do anything new before or during a race. First, I wore brand new shoes. I just couldn't run in those Saucony Triumphs anymore...too many odd and different pains every time I wore them. I tried them out for 100 miles and took them back to the store and exchanged them, knowing I would have to use new ones because I didn't want to wear my Asics either (hate last years Nimbus model but the new ones come out next week!!). I actually loved the shoes and didn't have a problem with them at all. The other thing I did which shouldn't have is used the GU Chomps. I've used GU gel before and it didn't always agree with me and people told me the chomps didn't upset their stomach the way the gel does so, I DON'T KNOW WHY, but decided to try them out, of all days, TODAY! My stomach was TORN UP the entire race and I couldn't get my mind off it. I guess I tried them because I was concerned with the fact that I don't drink anything on runs up to 18 miles. That's not good and wanted to give myself something.
I planned on trying to stay around 9 minute miles and wanted to beat 2 hours, so I kept looking at my Garmin and I stayed in the 8.5 minute miles for the whole race. I don't know how that happened. I never run that fast in any training runs. Maybe I should! It's funny how you can drop a whole minute/mile or more during a race. I've never even actually run full out. I never push myself too far past "comfortable" because I worry about pulling something, overheating, or overworking myself into some major problem. So I consider myself a recreational runner who isn't too concerned about times and I like it that way.
I did like this route through the Ft. Myers neighborhoods this morning and over the bridge. There were a couple rock bands set up and one was in a quiet little neighborhood and they were just BLARING at 7:30 in the morning. I'll bet the neighbors weren't happy. The bridge was a little steeper than I thought and I was worried about Chelsea, but I'm used to training on a steeper one all the time. There were quite a few people standing in their bathrobes that came out to clap and cheer us on. I tried to smile and wave at every one of them.
Chelsea took off again at the starting line and I kept her in view, but around the 3 mile mark, she had slowed down to me and was walking, I pointed at her and pointed forward and off she went again. I did not want her to stop and had told her to walk if she has to, just try not to give up. A few miles later she did the same thing but I had to just pass her and keep going and was so hoping she would continue. On my return over the bridge, I was so happy to see her coming down and we gave each other a smile and thumbs up. I was relieved!
I think it was a nice run for me. I did better than expected. I'm really proud of Chelsea and she can't wait until the next one. She also won a nice engraved beer (gatorade) mug for coming in 2nd place in her age group.